Sunday, January 9, 2011

Mid-Century by the Bay...Elvis Birthday continued!

I know, three posts in one day, but I think Sunday is the only day I get motivated to post blogs, and I usually have a camera full of photos from the weekend.

I want to continue my day celebrating the King...

While I was at Park Place, a box of books was delivered. Linda said, "Kim, have you seen this book yet?" I look up and recognize the woman who had brought the books in. Her name is Heather David and I met her at a party a few weeks ago. We greet each other and I look at the book titled Mid-Century by the Bay. I immediately pull out my credit card and purchased a copy.

Heather and I chatted a while about the book, reminisced about the departed attractions, and exchanged stories about some of the places in her book. The Winery that was located 1/4 mile from my childhood home is featured on the cover of the book. My brother was kicked out of the fountain in front when he was about 9 years old.

The book has chapters on homes, businesses, schools, attractions, hotels, and all sorts of familar sites around the bay area. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in mid-century architecture. 

While we were chatting, she mentioned she had sold her book to a gentleman in the UK to give to his wife for Christmas. I asked their name, and she told me she thinks the wife's name is "Fiona." Could this be our own "Straight Talkin' Mamma"? I scanned her posts, but didn't see her post her Christmas gifts, so I'll just have to wait and see if she comments on this post.

Here is a picture of Heather signing my book for me

In honor of the King, we had a toast to him holding some pictures that are for sale at the shop

2 comments:

Straight Talking Mama! said...

Now that would be freaky but sadly no it wasn't me :o( Wouldn't that have been weird! Sounds like a great book though!

Sarsaparilla said...

When I first looked at that last photo (before reading your post) I thought..."Is that Kim's living room? A little busy, but very cool."

 

Made by Lena