Monday, January 10, 2011

The King's birthday wrap-up...The Chop Tops!

After my daytime excursions, I went home and got dolled up to go out and see my buds, The Chop Tops playing at the Avalon. It was a huge show with a lineup of 6 bands. I missed the first 2, but got there in time to see Thee Merry Widows.

My friend Deb and I
 

I've known some of the girls in the band since before they started playing and watched them progress. There was a time in the bay area where there were three all girl psychobilly bands, but Thee Merry Widows are the only ones still rockin' out. I helped them get their first gig, opening for Mad Sin in 2003, and seeing them Saturday was a treat. Here are some photos:






I didn't get any photos of the next band up, The Shitkickers. Shitkickers are San Jose favorites, and play the best drinking songs around. I did get a few photos with friends before Hayride to Hell took the stage.

My old friend Perry who I haven't seen in about 6 years


With my buddy Thane

Me and my friend Phil Price

Next up were my homies, Hayride to Hell. I've known the drummer, Joey Myers since 1985 and met the bass player Mal, at the first American Nightmare festival. The singer, John, is from the old days, but we got to know each other much better over the last 8 years. These guys are a tight band, and I love them!



Finally, a band that NEVER disappoints, The Chop Tops! The crowd was ready for them and they were ready for the crowd. The show was at the Avalon in Santa Clara, which is a great venue for this kind of show. It is all ages with a BAR and reminds me of the old Safari Sam's in Hollywood.



After the show, a bunch of us went back to Mal's place. My imaginary husband was with me, but alas, no pics. Here is a picture of Me with my friend Keith I've known for almost 30 years and local funboy Brendan.

7 comments:

Miss Hell said...

I totally know Perry! I haven't seen him about 6 years also. He stayed with a friend and I in our sleazy motel room for some psychobilly show. Small world. Is he up in Nor Cal now?

Kim said...

Perry lived up north until he got together with Heather and then they moved to the midwest. He lives in Reno now, I think since 2006. It was really good to see him.

Betty2Tone said...

I could not figure out why "Viva Las Vegas" had such a long wait on Netflix, but it's obvious now that it was because of his birthday. Thank you for randomly answering a question I never asked ;)

That looks like a lot of fun, and I love your outfit

Anonymous said...

Always in good company Kim ! :)

Dolly Cool Clare said...

You are lucky you live somewhere where they put on great shows like this! Woo! Love the chop tops :)

Tara said...

Great pics!! Looks like hella fun! I wish the DC region had a scene! I guess need to go out West!

Miss Hell said...

I remember Heather. She moved to Chicago while I was living there. I take it they aren't together anymore!?

 

Made by Lena